License search

CA Nursing Licenses Changes, BON Joins Nursys Electronic License Verification System

Updated on 05/31/22

California joins Nursys

In March 2022, the California Board of Nursing joined Nursys, the electronic license verification system for RNs. Any nurse seeking a license through approval to practice in another state can use Nursys to verify their current license and all prior licenses. This is an important step for nurses currently working in California and those hoping to obtain a nursing license in the future.

Nursys is currently the only database that provides national licensing verification for nurses as well as LPNs/LVNs and APRNs. Nursys also updates immediately after licensing, allowing for faster license verification not only in California, but also in other Nursys states.

According to the California BON website, here are the steps to obtain license verification.

If you are currently a California RN or have previously held a California RN license and are seeking licensure:

In another state, you can submit your claim through Nursys®. To request out-of-state verification, please visit the Nursys® website:

Please see the National Council of State Boards of Nursing’s Contact a US Member page for a directory of all state nursing boards.

NOTE: Advanced practice certifications will not be included with RN license verification requested through Nursys. To request verification of advanced practice certifications, you will need to submit a request directly to the California Board through BreEZe online.

Original article 3/20/22

During the pandemic, California’s Emergency Medical Services Authority (EMSA) passed policies that allowed nurses licensed in any state to work in California. However, on March 31, 2022, the executive order authorizing this provision expires.

This means that any out-of-state nurse who does not specifically have a California nurse license will no longer be allowed to work in California. According to the California Board of Nursing, any travel nurse who wishes to continue working in the state must obtain a California license. Provisional licenses are allowed, but if you don’t have a CA license, you’re excluded. And sadly, these changes can only exacerbate nursing shortages in the state as well.

How to get a license

With the changes coming, the California Board of Nursing encourages all travel nurses who wish to continue working in the state to obtain their CA nurse license immediately. Travel nurses who have worked in the state can apply for licensure by endorsement online. To be eligible for the permit to practice by endorsement, you must meet the following conditions:

  • Have a current and active nursing license in another state
  • Passed your NCLEX or the State Board Essay Pool Examination (SBTPE)
  • Completed an educational program that meets all California requirements

It’s that last stipulation—passing a program that meets all of California’s requirements—that trips some people up, as California has a clinical microbiology lab requirement for all of its registered nurses. If you did not take a microbiology course with a lab as part of your nursing program, you may need to take the course now and submit documentation of completion in order to receive your license.

Some nurses who have had to go through the process recommend taking it to a community college if necessary, as it will be the most cost-effective strategy. Additionally, you may be able to take the course portion online and only complete the lab portion in person. Nurses from another country will also have additional stipulations.

What you can do now

According to the California Board of Registered Nursing (BRN), out-of-state RNs should apply for licensure by endorsement as soon as possible. They explain that all requests will be processed in the order in which they were received; this means that if you wait until the last minute, your application may not be processed in time for you to continue working once the March 31 deadline is reached.

The good news is that they also explained that once you have applied for your permanent license by endorsement, you can apply for a temporary license immediately. The temporary license will be valid for six months, so it should allow enough time for out-of-state nurses to continue working while their permanent license application is processed.

If you are currently a travel nurse in California and your agency or healthcare facility has not yet mentioned the upcoming changes, you should definitely talk to them about what you need to do and take steps to apply for your license. exercise by approval immediately. Additionally, if you are accepting a CA Travel Nurse position in the near future, you may also be required to provide proof that you have applied for licensure by endorsement. Some travel nursing jobs require proof of receipt that you have applied, so be prepared if you are considering accepting a CA nursing job in the coming weeks.

The bottom line is that if you don’t have a CA nurse license and want the opportunity to work in-state as a travel nurse this year, you’re going to want to apply for your licensure through approval right away. And if you’re already working in the state, don’t forget to apply for your temporary permit in the meantime, too, so you don’t lose your job on April 1.

Nurses who are not prepared in advance may lose their jobs and recruiting agencies may find it more difficult to find nurses with the appropriate license to fill positions, so any nurse who has the correct license to nurse in California will be instrumental in accepting higher paying travel assignments this spring.